Thanks for printing! Don't forget to come back to Team Pest USA for fresh articles!
Africanized Bees have been given the nickname “Killer bee” due to their aggressive temperament. These bees will chase people for more than a quarter mile when disturbed, and have killed more than one hundred thousand humans.
- Color: Golden-yellow with darker bands of brown
- Legs: 6
- Shape: Ova; bee shaped
- Size: 1/2 to 3/4” long
- Antennae: Yes
- Region: Arizona, California, Texas, Nevada, New Mexico
- Habits: Like all social bees, Africanized bees will defend their colony and attack when threatened. The worker bees collect pollen and nectar from flowers to feed to the larvae and other members of the colony.
- Habitat: Africanized bees develop small colonies, and build nests in unique places. They will live in empty cars, tires, crates, and boxes.
- Threats: Africanized bees can be lethal to humans and animals with victims receiving ten times as many stings than from the European strain.