Fruit flies get their name because they are frequently seen hovering around decaying fruit and vegetables.
- Color: Yellowish brown to dark brown body, some have distinctive red eyes
- Legs: 6
- Shape: Small, oval
- Size: 1/8"
- Antennae: Yes
- Region: Throughout the United States
- Habits: Fruit flies are common structural pests frequently associated with fermenting fruits, vegetables and yeast.
- Habitat: These small pests can commonly be found in homes, restaurants and other food processing facilities. They can be found on moist, decaying matter that has been stationary for several days.
- Threats: Fruit flies are found in unsanitary conditions, so they are a potential health concern.