Although there are many times when hiring an Atlanta pest control company like Team Pest USA is necessary, a lot of incidences can be avoided. By taking precautionary and preventative measures before a problem arises, you are making the need to call an expert less likely.
While certain species cannot be avoided altogether, most bugs will stay far away from your home if you employ the right line of defense. Fortunately, it does not take much to bug-proof your property.
Guard against Unwelcome Guests
- Inspect the exterior of your home for any possible entry points. Be careful not to overlook things like small holes in window screens or gaps in caulking, as these alone are enough for smaller pests to get through.
- Clean your gutters on a regular basis. The build-up of leaves and rainwater is the perfect climate for mosquitoes and other bugs. Areas with standing water are prime breeding grounds for mosquitos, so make sure your property is adequately suited to drain water away from the foundation.
- Trim bushes and nearby tree limbs to prevent squirrels and other rodents from climbing onto your roof. Attics are where these animals tend to invade first, so do not forget to patch possible entry points in this room too. Installing wire mesh around the base of your trees and on attic vents will thwart most climbing rodents.
- Keep your HVAC system cleaned and maintained, namely the filter. In addition to causing the air quality in your home to suffer, dirt, dust, mold and mildew accumulation will attract certain insects. As you can imagine, these bugs will not have a problem getting on the main level, courtesy of the air ducts.
- Never leave food lying out, as this is the quickest way to invite pests inside. Ants can detect the scent of food from outside your home and will make a beeline right for the source if allowed.